COMPONENT STUDY :
The component is a castor trolley wheel in which the top plate and legs need to be welded, which weighs 0.3 – 0.4 kgs as a whole.
1).COMPONENT SPECIFICATION :-
Diameter of the top plate : 100mm
Length of the legs : 4inch and 6 inches
Distance between two legs : 65mm
Radius of the curve : 35mm
Thickness of material : 5mm
THE REAL PROBLEM
1) The curved legs need to be welded with the top plate.
2) The automation for this welding as continuous welding manually was difficult, hazardous to operator.
3) Easing of operation.
PROVIDING THE BEST SOLUTION
- THE CASTOR WHEEL WELDING: –
- The welding is done in order to join the top plate with the wheel mounting frames.
- Due to shape of the component, its rotation posed a challenge and hence while welding the torch and other axes are moved towards weld zone and the component is fixed.
- MIG welding was the process used in order to weld the component.
- Below image shows the automatic welding SPM.(image 2)
AUTOMATION DONE USING 4 AXIS WELDING SPM:-
- There were three linear axis and one rotation axis.
- The torch is moved to the close proximity of the component in order to create weld arc using 3 linear axes and a rotary axis.
- All the axes are interpolated towards the weld zone due to curvature of the component.
- Rotating fixture is been used and two components were mounted in it so that welding will be continuous once one welding gets over.
- The automation was done in order to de skill the process, have higher repeatability and efficiency.
EASING OF OPERATION:-
- Sequence of operation is made according to customer requirement and the machine .
- Toggle clamps were used in order to clamp the components.
- Multiple tack, Linear and plug welding can also be done in the system.
- Those programs also developed and saved in the system additionally.
- After carefully working on customer requirements, we delivered an SPM which not only satisfied the customer but made the customer happy.
- The machine is now producing 140+ such welded components in a shift with the customer working for 2 shifts per day.
- Two people were working on loading and welding of components while now a single operator can work on loading and welding.
- An operator who doesn’t know welding can also operate the machine, it has helped in de-skilling of process.
- The operator is not under influence of harmful gases hence it safe guards the operator.
Welded sample image is attached below.